Groups (about 2 students per) of students will research a geologic time period. Each groups will utilize a number of resources, create a report and model to be presented to class and be displayed.
- Each groups time period can be assigned (e.i. drawing out of a beaker) or let them choose. It works best if each group has a different time period and all periods are represented.
- Provide each student a sheet showing your grading criteria. Below is an example.
______pts typed report (double spaced, size 12, x# of sources and cited only 1 www source, x# of pages)
______pts community expert (identify name, title, agency, phone number, questions asked and their answers)
______pts interest page (what did you find interesting, learn, etc.)
- Provide students time in the media center, computer lab, excess to a phone (may need to contact a community member) and materials for the model. Judge the amount until presentations to students progress.
- After the presentations are completed. Have the students place their models around the room in chronological order. Ask them to take a look at all the models and lead discussions.
- Present their findings to other classes.
- Field trip (i.e. Morrill Hall)