By Gregory Paul Pavlik
- CASDE "First" CD-ROM
- Computer with minimum requirements listed on the CD-ROM sleeve
- Notebook Paper
Follow all instructions listed by letter and answer all numbered questions.
A. Load and open the CASDE CD-ROM.
B. Open DataSlate ( Dslatepc)
DataSlate should open with a color Infrared image of Omaha Nebraska
Move or align your Message boxes so the Channel 1 and Channel 2 windows are to the left of your screen. Adjust so you can see both windows.
C. Click on the DataSlate, notice the small square in the upper left hand side of the DataSlate screen. You will be using this small square very soon.
D. The image that you see is just a portion of a larger image. DataSlate allows you to move this image up and down as well as side to side.
- Move your arrow to the middle of the DataSlate image.
- Click, hold, and move your mouse arrow to the top of the DataSlate screen, the image should move.
E. Practice moving the image on your screen. Find the edges of the image.
1. As you move through the image, list the type of landmarks that are visible on the image. (Natural and man-made)
F. Next move your mouse arrow over to the middle of the small box that was noted in Procedure letter "C". (Upper left hand corner)
-Click, hold , and drag the small box to different places on the image.
Note: This box is also adjustable. Move your arrow to one of the sides of the small box and your arrow will switch to an adjustment arrow, click , hold, and move your mouse to resize the box.
This box is a very important part of DataSlate. The image on the screen is the image that is on Channel 1. The adjustable box allows you to overlay another image on Channel 2.
G. Click on (select) the Channel 1 message window and make sure that you have the Omaha Nebraska color infrared image selected.
Click once on Omaha NE.
Click once on the closed book labeled "Color Infrared" and select (click once) on the open book labeled "Color Infrared".
H. Now select the Channel 2 message window.
- Select Omaha NE
- Select "Natural Color" rather than the Color Infrared you did for Channel 1.
- Look back to the DataSlate to see the image shown inside the Channel 2 box.
You should see the color "Green" among others.
I. Click once (select) on the main screen of the DataSlate and move the Channel 2 box (Inside the box click, hold, and drag) around the image.
2. List the observations you make in regard to how things appear differently on
Channel 2 when compared to Channel 1.
J. Move the main image (color infrared) so that the city of Omaha is in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
3. What is the dark image in the right hand, middle part of the screen?
K. Move the Channel 2 box over this dark object.
4. Does the appearance of this object change on the Channel 2 image when
compared with the image on Channel 1? How so?
5. What color do the red areas of Channel 1 appear within the Channel 2 box?
6. What does the color red represent on the color infrared images?
7. In the upper right side of the same image note the different intensities of the color red. What do you think is the reason for the variance in color?
L. Now move your Channel 1 DataSlate image (large infrared) so that you can see the extreme bottom left side of the image.
8. In the bottom corner there is a small dark image and an intense red area to the right of it. Based upon your previous answers, what do you think the dark area is? How does it differ from the dark image you identified in question number 3?
9. What do you think the intense red area is? How could you find out for sure?
Note: To help you learn to identify structures on these images and check your answers you may want to use some of the following listed references:
a. Topographic map of the metropolitan Omaha area.
b. Nebraska road map.
c. Area maps that are found in the Telephone books
d. Use the Internet to find maps of the area
M. Now take time to change the images on Channels 1 & 2. Practice moving the Channel 1 image and the Channel 2 box. Show your instructor the different combinations that you used and brainstorm other ways that you could use DataSlate.
N. Close DataSlate and the CASDE CD-ROM.
EXTRA RESEARCH POSSIBILITIES:
1. Move to the top right part of the Omaha color infrared image on Channel 1 of the DataSlate. Look for yellow spots on this Channel 1 image. What color do they appear on the Channel 2, natural color image? Research to find out what these "dots" are.
2. On the same infrared image (Channel 1) there is a light blue color on the left side of the same screen near the top.(Use the same area mentioned above in #1)
Based upon what you have seen what do you think this area represents? How could you find out what is located there?